Archive for authorOrinam
Orinam.net is a bilingual website (Tamil and English) associated with the Chennai-based social-support-arts-advocacy group Orinam. The site contains information on alternate sexualities and gender identities and resources for the public, media, healthcare, educational institutions, workplaces, and family members of LGBT people. Our voices – The Orinam blog features news and views, personal stories and creative writing by Queers and allies.
Presentation on transgender rights and the law, from the workshop-discussion facilitated by Siddharth Narrain at Nazariya, Delhi, in August 2015.
Prerana Kudur from Ondede and Gowthaman Ranganathan from Alternative Law Forum have compiled powerful testimonies of transgender people in Karnataka.
We believe that reservation in education and employment is the only solution to this situation. To advocate for reservation, we are conducting a state-wide protest on 17 August, 2015, at 3 pm at Valluvar Kottam, Chennai.
People are fond of asking thirunangais: “Why can’t you work honestly? Why do you do sex work? Why do you ask for money at shops?” Watch this video of Vaishnavi, Chennai’s first thirunangai auto and cab driver responding to such questions.
The ASSAF-UNAS May 2015 report is a must-read for policy- and law- makers dragging their feet on decriminalisation of homosexuality in India.
Orinam also opposes prejudice based on community, caste, place of origin, ethnicity, ability, religion, and other visible and invisible markers of identity.
Adding a third gender or "T" category does not suffice to make the Ministry of External Affairs NALSA-compliant if it stills requires proof of surgery for recording a change of gender. Further, not all transgender people seek to identify as "T", and are at liberty to identify as M or F, per the judgement.
Sappho for Equality seeks submissions for the fourth National Queer Conference 'Femininities and Masculinities' scheduled for 11th to 13th September, 2015, Kolkata.
- Coming out for India: beyond the 377 verdict Jul 14 2018
- Indian Psychiatric Society reiterates need for decriminalisation of homosexuality Jul 9 2018
- poem: How to love someone without a gender – a manual in four parts Jul 1 2018
- Tenth Chennai Rainbow Pride 2018: Queer Eye Jun 28 2018
- poem: How do we go home? Jun 18 2018
- Video: Growing up gay and Tamil – தற்பாலீர்ப்பு தமிழர்களாய் வளர்ந்த அனுபவங்கள்(140,555 views)
- My Bisexual Story: Suri(29,301 views)
- “This is about you and me”: RJ Balaji on Men(26,793 views)
- Curtains: short film by Nakshatra, 2013(17,329 views)
- Different(15,203 views)