Anil Sadanandan (who also went by Mariya) was a trans activist living and working in Kerala, India. S/he was a vocal, queer activist who was open about her identity both in the media and at events like Kerala Queer Pride.
On May 10th, Anil/Mariya was brutally murdered. Accounts detail that they sprinkled chilli powder on her, presumably to keep away the police. We, her friends, family and those who knew her vibrant spirit — mourn her loss.
Anil’s murder is a brutal signal from the murderous homophobic patriarchy that trans people/queer people/ non-conforming persons of all kinds have no right to live, much less live with equality and dignity. We cannot let this horrible injustice be quietly erased. The one’s whose bodies and lives are the most vulnerable are also the ones who do most of the fighting. In Solidarity. For Justice.
- NewsNET East: Murdered Trans- activist faced hate from neighbours, May 11, 2012
- NewsNET East: Mystery, Panic shrouds Queer activist’s Murder, May 11, 2012
- AsianAge: Gay rights Activist Murdered, May 11, 2012
- Justice for Maria group on FB – In solidarity. For Justice. For Maria/Anil.
- Please leave your tribute as comments below
This message was initially posted by Sumathi on Facebook and has been republished with her consent.