Healthcare-related posts from the Orinam Blog
- Gee Semmalar on Trans Health Care (2/13/2017) - Barriers transgender people face in accessing basic healthcare and gender-affirmative interventions. TransForm conference, Dec 2016, CLPR, Bangalore
- Africa Report on Diversity in Human Sexuality must be read by Indian law- and policy- makers (6/12/2015) - The ASSAF-UNAS May 2015 report is a must-read for policy- and law- makers dragging their feet on decriminalisation of homosexuality in India.
- Quackery Masquerades as Medicine: India’s Conversion Therapy Racket (6/3/2015) - The recent expose of Delhi's "conversion therapy" racket highlights the substandard quality of medical practitioners in India and their lack of understanding of mental health science.
- Letter to World Psychiatric Association: Feb 3, 2014 (2/8/2014) - Letter from scientists, professionals and other concerned Indian citizens to World Psychiatric Association on homophobia among mental health practitioners (IPS context).
- Indian Psychiatric Society official statement: homosexuality is not a mental illness (2/6/2014) - Feb 6, 2014: Indian Psychiatric Society official declares homosexuality is not a mental illness, following conflicting public statements by some of its office bearers.
- Open letter to Dr. Raju, General Secretary, Indian Psychiatric Society (2/5/2014) - Letter informing Dr Raju, General Secretary, Indian Psychiatric Society, that homosexuality is not an illness that needs to be classified and managed.
- IPS clarifies: Dr. Indira Sharma’s View on Homosexuality is Not the Official View (1/22/2014) - IPS clarifies: Dr. Indira Sharma's View on Homosexuality is Not the Official View
- How I dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts (1/13/2014) - A young gay man from India writes about how he overcame depression and suicidal thoughts
- To Raghu, with love (9/10/2013) - An Orinam reader reflects on the suicide of his cousin brother.
- No Matter What Happens (4/9/2013) - The author, a member of the Orinam list, reflects on how she managed to overcome several depression that was linked, in part, to her struggles to accept her gayness.
- Ghosts of things past: a male rape survivor speaks (1/10/2013) - *Trigger alert* A queer man speaks about surviving rape.
- Spells and Charms (12/8/2012) - Vinodhan follows up on his post on living with depression by sharing how he copes with it.
- Community discussion on LGBTI suicide prevention with Barry Taylor (11/22/2012) - Barry Taylor speaks to our communities and allies on suicide prevention on Nov 27 in Chennai: discussion organized by Orinam with East West Center for Counseling.
- Storms without Warnings (11/11/2012) - In this intensely personal essay, Orinam member Vinodhan writes about living with depression
- Dr. Gurvinder Kalra on Coming Out post-377 (4/22/2012) - Psychiatrist Gurvinder Kalra from Mumbai provides guidance to fellow psychiatrists in India on how they should support a client who is lesbian, gay, bi or trans*. His article in the Indian Journal of Psychiatry is downloadable here.
- Indian Journal of Psychiatry takes a stand on homosexuality (4/4/2012) - Drs. Rao and Jacob, in their editorial 'Homosexuality and India' in the Indian Journal of Psychiatry (2012), question unethical and unwarranted attempts at conversion therapy and call for physicians to provide medical service with compassion and respect for human dignity for all people irrespective of their sexual orientation.
- Sexual Orientation Change Efforts by Medical Professionals in India (3/30/2012) - Deep and Dr.Raman write about some unethical and unscientific sexuality conversion practices carried out by the Indian medical community
- Mental Health Professionals oppose Criminalization of Homosexuality (2/8/2011) - A group of reputed mental health professionals from across India have opposed the criminalization of homosexuality saying that it will result in irreparable psychological and mental harm to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) persons.
This post is also available in: தமிழ் (Tamil)