Here are some coming out stories from LGBT people in India, many from the MP group associated with Orinam. As you read the essays linked below, remember that the coming out process is likely to vary tremendously depending on your age, gender, family circumstances and economic independence, environment and experiences as an immigrant, second-generation (or later) member of the diaspora, or as a resident in your country of origin.
We hope that the following accounts inspire you in your journey, and encourage you to send in your experiences to us. Experiences of coming out post-377 are especially welcome.
- visiBIlity (10/12/2016) - It took me 27 years to admit I wasn't straight.
- The biggest exam of my life: Bubbly comes out to family in Chennai (3/5/2016) - Bubbly writes to her parents and sister in Chennai, explaining why she cancelled her engagement.
- ‘The smartphone freed me’: a journey of dating as a transwoman (8/19/2015) - In which Nadika describes how Second Life, a smart phone, and dating sites helped her explore dating as a transwoman.
- Coming Out Late, Coming Clean (5/6/2015) - Purush comes out to his parents, wife, close relatives and friends through this letter.
- Gender fluidity: my experiences and ideas (11/6/2014) - To those who insist on me mentioning a label, I usually say “genderfluid”. parts
- Sex Change in the Time of Saffron Politics (10/22/2014) - Sex change is my farewell to 23 years of being, trying to be, pretending to be and for days to come, trying to give being a chance.
- South Asian, Married, and Queer? Seeking submissions (10/12/2014) - Orinam invites submissions in the form of essays, stories, interviews and poems by South Asian LGB cispeople in marriages to individuals of the other sex, by trans individuals in marriages they entered into (or were forced into) based on their gender assigned at birth, and by spouses of such queer/trans people.
- Coming out to my dad (8/3/2014) - Shankar Ganesh describes how he came out to his father.
- Video: Dealing With Family – குடும்பத்தினரை சமாளிப்பது எப்படி? (2/10/2014) - In this hangout, some of Orinam's members who are gay, talk about how they dealt with their family members post coming out.
- Curtains: short film by Nakshatra, 2013 (7/21/2013) - Watch the short film 'Curtains’ by Mumbai-based filmmaker Nakshatra.
- Yes, I am (5/5/2013) - Prashanth recounts his personal journey over the past year: a year that has given him confidence to accept who he is, confidence to drop plans of marriage to a girl, and confidence to come out to a really close friend.
- Dykotomy: growing up lesbian in India (2/3/2013) - I lived in Chennai, India, for 23 years. I’ve never been in the closet. Well, not really. I’ve always been butch — short hair, boys’ clothes, a gentleman’s manner, and of course, a way with the ladies. But in India, not being in the closet doesn't necessarily mean being out of it.
- My Bisexual Story: Suri (1/27/2013) - Suryatapa, a college student, writes about growing into her bisexual identity.
- Ancy and Andy (7/22/2012) - I read my sister's diary entries about her feelings of confusion, desire and guilt mixed with her overbearing desire to be faithful to God. Her death has taught me the importance of being honest to myself.
- Acceptance and Denial (7/15/2012) - One year after coming out to her parents as trans, Brenda still finds them in denial and hoping she will return to being their son.
- Video: I am Trans (4/27/2012) - Playwright and performer Deen shares his story in this truly amazing video. Deen is a transman of South Indian origin.
- Rajib’s Coming Out Story (3/27/2012) - Rajib D. Mukherjee, a member of Wajood (LGBT group in Hyderabad) shares his coming-out conversation with his mother.
- It Gets Better – Cummins Inc, USA (11/11/2011) - It Gets Better video from Cummins Inc, USA. Video includes Sameer Samudra from India.
- It Gets Better – Sarav Chidambaram (10/27/2011) - In this video, Sarav Chidambaram talks about his journey from a confused kid to a successful Gay man.
- Brenda’s letter to her parents [coming out as trans] (8/27/2011) - Brenda, a member of the MP mailing list, is a scientist from Chennai, currently pursuing advanced research in Germany. She is in the process of transitioning from male to female. In this letter Brenda comes out at a transwoman to her parents.
- Ganesh’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2009) - In this essay Ganesh talks about his attraction to men and his concerns around the reactions his parents might face from relatives and society
- Velu’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2009) - Velu talks about his attraction to men in this story.
- Shri’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2009) - Shri writes about how he came out to his parents and how they reacted hearing the big news that their son is Gay.
- Vijay’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2008) - Vijay talks about his attraction to men in this story.
- Anil’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2008) - Anil talks about his attraction to men in this story.
- Menon’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2008) - Menon talks about her attraction to both men and women in this story.
- Sundar’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2008) - Sundar talks about his attraction to men in this story.
- Praveen’s Coming Out Story (10/8/2008) - Praveen talks about his attraction to men in this story.
- Aniruddhan’s Coming Out Story (12/15/2005) - Aniruddhan talks about his attraction to men in this story.
(c) Orinam.net. Please read our copyright policy.
This post is also available in: தமிழ் (Tamil)